And it may but worsen, with two extra Exams — in Sydney and Hobart — nonetheless to play.
AFP Sport seems on the numbers behind England’s Ashes humiliation:
– The vacationers’ defeat on the MCG was their ninth Take a look at loss in 2021 — a joint document for a calendar yr together with Bangladesh in 2003. With the fourth Ashes Take a look at beginning on January 5, England will probably be glad to see the again of 2021.
– England’s poor batting has been central to their demise. Skipper Joe Root, together with Dawid Malan, has been a uncommon brilliant spot. Root has 1,708 runs for the calendar yr, at a median of 61.00. However a distant second to him for England in 2021 is maligned opener Rory Burns (530 runs), then Jonny Bairstow (391).
– Malan, Jack Leach, Mark Wooden and Ollie Robinson all went for 0 as England folded for a paltry 68 of their second innings in Melbourne. Cricket consultants Wisden stated that was a record-equalling 54 Take a look at geese for England in 2021.
– Led by veteran quick bowler Jimmy Anderson, England gave themselves an opportunity within the third Take a look at, earlier than their batting once more allow them to down. Australia’s first-innings complete of 267 was the bottom to win a males’s Take a look at by an innings this century, Wisden stated.
– Bowler Scott Boland had a dream debut for Australia on house turf at Melbourne Cricket Floor, taking 5 wickets in simply 19 balls, the joint-fastest five-wicket haul in Take a look at historical past. He completed with unimaginable figures of 6-7 off 4 overs to jot down himself in Ashes folklore.